First Baptist Church Memphis has agreed to engage in a transition facilitation process. One of the key components of this process is the Transition Team. This team will:
- Model listening, healthy interaction, and discernment for the congregation.
- Meet periodically in-person with the Transition Facilitator. Participate in emails, team webinars, and conference calls to plan congregational conversations around the five focus points of the interim period: heritage, connections with denominational and community partners, mission, leadership needs, and future.
- Lead the congregational conversations with the help of the Transition Facilitator.
- Debrief the congregational conversations with the help of the Transition Facilitator.
- Recommend to the church the formation of a pastor search team once the transition team’s work is complete.
We need your assistance in establishing a Team to fulfill this important role over the next few months. Please prayerfully consider who would be best suited to serve on this Team. Descriptors of good Transition Team members include:
- Spiritually mature
- Committed to congregation (as demonstrated by their presence, prayers, service, and gifts)
- Trusted by congregation
- Able to listen to different perspectives
- Aware of what is going on in the congregation
- Representative of entire congregation
- Available for meetings and congregational conversations
Note that staff and family members of staff are not eligible to serve on the transition team. This is to avoid putting undue pressure on them during a season in which staff members have taken on additional responsibilities. (Staff and family members of staff are important parts of the process, however, and are highly encouraged to take part in the congregational conversations. Additionally, the Transition Facilitator will communicate with staff about the process on a regular basis.)
Please print the names of four people who meet the stated qualifications at the bottom of this letter. Keep in mind that it is important to balance the Team in terms of age, gender, leadership roles, and length of time in the church. We will use your nominations as we work with the Committee on Committees to finalize the Team. Be sure to return this letter through the mail, on Sundays in the Welcome Center, dropping it off to Bridget Ellis at church, or through the church website by Sunday, July 9, 2019.
Note that the Transition Team will not have any authority other than what is required to carry out its tasks, and it will disband at the conclusion of its work.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you very much for your important input.
Laura Stephens-Reed, Transition Facilitator
David Richardson, Chair of Committee on Committees
Richard Wright, Chair of Personnel
Clay Wilson, Chair of Deacons